LARNACA AIRPORT STATION
Located in the arrivals hall of the Larnaca International Airport.
TEL: +357 24008686
FAX: +357 24008689
Emergency: +357 99656067
Opening Hours: 24 Hours
Built on the grounds of the ancient city of Kition, Larnaca is steeped in history and was a center of Christianity when the religion was first started.
The name Larnaca comes from the Greek word "Larnax" meaning sarcophagus, many of which have been unearthed in this area. Legend has it that the first settlement at the spot was founded by Noah's grandson, Khittim. In the 18th century, Larnaca became a trading center for the island and, since the 1974 Turkish invasion, the airport there has developed into the main international airport of Cyprus.
With a population of 62,000, Larnaca town has managed to maintain a relaxed and leisurely atmosphere. The Church of St. Lazarus (the patron saint of Larnaca) standing in the center of the town is one of the best examples of Byzantine architecture in Cyprus and is well worth a visit. The Tomb of St. Lazarus is located underneath the sanctuary.
The Larnaca marina, with its 450-yacht capacity, attracts many boats as a safe harboring place for winter. The Larnaca Fort, built on the seafront in 1625, was used as a prison in the first years of British rule. It now houses a small archaeological museum and is used as the Larnaca Municipal Cultural Centre.
The main shopping area is Zenon Kitieos Street, a typically-busy road of small shops, whilst the palm-lined seafront is provided for relaxation, with its cafes, tavernas and bars.